How To Sue A Doctor

We all put our faith in our doctors to care for ourselves, our children, our parents and our friends. If this trust is broken and a doctor provides us or our loved ones with substandard care, we are likely to be devastated. Furthermore, if this substandard care has a detrimental effect on us or our loved ones, we are likely to want to be compensated.

The law protects you against any doctor providing you with substandard care. It is possible to sue a doctor who works in an NHS hospital, a private practice or a GP's surgery. Also the law understands that if a doctor has been negligent towards you you may not always be able to make a claim for yourself. It is possible to sue a doctor for negligence on behalf of yourself, your child, an elderly relative, an individual who has passed away or another loved one who is unable to make the claim themselves.

Has My Doctor Been Negligent?

To establish whether or not your doctor has been negligent they will have to be shown to have been in a position where they owed you/the patient a duty of care and that you/thepatient suffered direct harm as a result of their negligent management of this care. The decisions the doctor made and the treatment they gave will be assessed. If it is found that they acted in a way in which other doctors would not have acted, and this resulted in a negative effect, you will have grounds to make a successful medical negligence claim.

How do I Sue a Doctor for Negligence?

1. Deadline - you must commence a claim within 3 years of the date of the incident in question. If you do not commence a claim within this timescale you will not be able to claim for compensation. Making a claim as soon as possible is always recommended, as soon as you feel healthy enough to.

2. Lawyer - choose a lawyer you feel happy and comfortable with. Of equal importance to this, ensure the lawyer you choose is specialised in medical negligence law. 1st Claims will be able to help you find the perfect lawyer for you, so get in touch with us today.

3. Evidence - keep track of any evidence which could be relevant to your case. You will have to pass this information on to your lawyer and it will be a lot easier if you have it at hand. Keep any prescriptions, receipts from further treatments, notes of further treatment and a diary detailing the progression of your health issues. All of this is not vital, but very helpful.

If I Sue My Doctor, How Much Compensation Will I Receive?

This will be dependent on the effects your doctor's negligence has had on you. The compensation amount will be assessed regarding negative changes to your physical and mental health following the negligent care, loss of current and future earnings, other financial losses and long term changes in quality of life.

1st Claims will be able to offer you advice regarding all aspects of your compensation claim against your doctor. All initial enquiries are offered completely free of charge, just call 1st Claims on 0800 2888 693 (from a mobile click to call: 01275 774 557) or fill in an online enquiry. Our free enquiry service ensures you completely understand the position you are in before you commit yourself to going ahead with suing your doctor.

Make a claim now or you can speak to us on 0800 2888 693

Information on how we handle your data is in our Privacy Policy

1stClaims is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities. Firm Reference Number FRN833930.

1stClaims are a Claims Management Company. Our Marketing is undertaken in a manner that is compliant with the SRA Code of Conduct for Solicitors, RELs and RFLs 2019 Parts 8.6 - 8.11, Client information and publicity, and any solicitor [or registered European lawyer] to whom we may refer you is an independent professional from whom you will receive impartial and confidential advice. You are free to choose another solicitor [or registered European lawyer].

1stClaims Limited - Registered in England and Wales - Reg. Co. No. 06566866. Registered Office Address: Tregyddulan, St Nicholas, Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, SA64 0LX

VAT Reg. No. 938 1976 76 - Information Commissioner’s Office Registration Number Z1477170