Holiday Accident Claims

A holiday should be a time for rest and recovery. However, every year nearly 4,000 people have an accident abroad, totally ruining their holiday.

If you've suffered an accident while on holiday, you may be able to claim compensation. There are many different types of holiday accident, and each one can be made more complex by legislation in each country. If you have been involved in an accident on holiday it is vital that you contact us early so that one of our expert solicitors can advise you of your legal rights.

If this has happened to you, you need the right solicitor. A 1stClaims holiday accident claims solicitor will listen to your situation, and if possible, help you to recover compensation for your pain, suffering and expenses.

Accidents That May Warrant A Claim

Our solicitors' experience with accidents on holiday includes:

  • Car, Bus, Motorcycle or Taxi Accidents
  • Accidents in hotel complexes, including defective paving leading to tripping and slipping injuries, smashed patio doors with non EU Safety Glass fitted, faulty appliances etc.
  • Infections obtained whilst in hospitals abroad
  • Food poisoning illnesses
  • Water related accidents. Often trying out new forms of water activities can be great fun, but sometimes they can lead to serious injuries. From legs caught in the engines of luxury yachts to being hit by boats whilst swimming, unfortunately we have seen most water related injuries
  • Apartment Injuries. Whether caused by non safety glass in patio doors, or some other defect we can investigate and advise you whether you can make a holiday accident claim.
  • Injuries sustained on the way. If you are injured on a plane or a ship, different laws apply and you must seek early advice.

The only way to be sure if we will be able to help you or not is to get in touch – luckily, this is completely free! Just use the Quick Claim Enquiry form on the right hand side of the page to contact us.

What Steps Should I Take To Increase My Chances Of Success?

The first thing that you need to do is report the accident. You can report it directly to your holiday representative, but you can also report it to the hotel that you are staying at, particularly if the accident occurred on their property. In the case of a road accident you should also report it to the local police. In fact it is safe to say that you should report it to as many officials as you possibly can. Your solicitor can then contact these agencies later to verify the details of the accident. You should also take the details of all the people to whom you report the accident in order to make contacting them easier at a later date.

You should also keep a personal account of what happened. Write a description of the events in your own words and in as much detail as you can. If you are on holiday then it is likely that you will have a camera with you. It is advisable to take photographs of the scene of the accident, as these can be used at a later date to back up your claim. You should also seek medical attention as this will further highlight the severity of your accident and provide another avenue of official confirmation.

Finally you should seek legal representation when you return to the UK as soon as you can. Delays can sometimes hinder the claim process and cast doubt on the severity of the claim. Representation can be found online and there numerous companies dealing with holiday compensation claims.

It is vital that you seek out a specialist solicitor who has dealt with holiday compensation claims in the past. No only will they be able to take you through the claim process step by step, but they will also be aware of the intricacies of such a claim. Many specialists offer legal assistance on a 'no win, no fee' basis, meaning that it won't cost you a penny to make a claim. The advice and assistance offered is often crucial. Your solicitor will be able to collect and collate all of the information that you have gathered and back up your claim. They will be able to contact everyone involved and build a strong case for your compensation. If you have an accident abroad through no fault of your own, then there is no reason why your claim shouldn't be successful. With a little preparation and the knowledge of how to react should your holiday be blighted by an accident, you can be sure of a positive outcome.

Package Holiday Injuries

If you have booked a package holiday through a tour operator in the UK and what you were doing at the time of the injury was part of that package, then you may be able to make an injury compensation claim against the tour operator for your injuries and any other related financial losses. In this situation, the claim would fall under the jurisdiction of the UK courts and can therefore be handled by UK solicitors experienced in these types of injury claims.

Under the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992, a tour operator can be held responsible for all of the services provided as part of a package holiday. This can include the hotel accommodation including the food provided and any facilities such as swimming pools, cruises, air travel, coach or car transfers and excursions booked as part of the main holiday package. The regulations relate to all package holidays, both abroad and in the UK and also offer a degree of protection to business travellers.

However, the regulations do not apply to all personal injury claims that happen abroad. If you booked your travel and accommodation separately, then any injury compensation claim would have to be pursued against the negligent party directly, using the local legal system. This can be extremely difficult, particularly if you have since returned to the UK and some time has elapsed between the incident and your pursuit of a claim. Additional excursions booked by yourself whilst at the location are also not covered under the regulations, making it difficult to pursue a claim in this instance.

Holiday injuries are a complex and difficult area and expert advice is absolutely essential if you wish to pursue any kind of claim. Often, your tour operator will provide you with full details of what they can and can’t be held accountable for, so it is one of those times when reading the small print is a worthwhile exercise. Ensuring that you have insurance, medical cover and that all your paperwork is in order before you go on holiday is also vital.

How Much Will It Cost To Claim?

Nothing. 1stClaims does not believe the individual who has suffered already should have to pay to recover compensation for their injuries and any lost earnings. Therefore, you do not need to pay for our services. Whilst many holiday accident claims companies charge individuals for their time we do not. Our service and expertise for you is completely free of charge.

How We Help You

  • We hand select only the best holiday accident claims solicitors to help you.
  • All initial enquiries are completely free of charge
  • You may be able to make a claim under a No Win No Fee Agreement (NOTE: If your case is successful your Solicitor will deduct up to a maximum of 25% of your final settlement or compensation award as payment for their fees. You can find out more about No Win No Fee arrangements and the potential costs that can be incurred by clicking here.)

Let 1stClaims Help You With Your Holiday Accident Claim

If you would like 1stClaims’ expert Holiday Accident Solicitors on your side please call us free on 0800 2888 693 or complete our Free Claim Enquiry form now and we will be in touch with you very soon. Remember, it costs absolutely nothing to ask and you are under no obligation to make a claim.

We are here to help you from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday,
8.30am to 6pm on Saturday and 9am to 6pm on Sundays.

GB Wide Personal Injury Claims Service

We have specialist Personal Injury Claim Solicitors across England, Scotland & Wales waiting to help you now.

Make a claim now or you can speak to us on 0800 2888 693

Information on how we handle your data is in our Privacy Policy

1stClaims is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities. Firm Reference Number FRN833930.

1stClaims are a Claims Management Company. Our Marketing is undertaken in a manner that is compliant with the SRA Code of Conduct for Solicitors, RELs and RFLs 2019 Parts 8.6 - 8.11, Client information and publicity, and any solicitor [or registered European lawyer] to whom we may refer you is an independent professional from whom you will receive impartial and confidential advice. You are free to choose another solicitor [or registered European lawyer].

1stClaims Limited - Registered in England and Wales - Reg. Co. No. 06566866. Registered Office Address: Tregyddulan, St Nicholas, Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, SA64 0LX

VAT Reg. No. 938 1976 76 - Information Commissioner’s Office Registration Number Z1477170