UK Wide Medical Negligence Claims Service
We have specialist Medical Negligence Claim Solicitors across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland waiting to help you now.
We have specialist Medical Negligence Claim Solicitors ready to help you across the UK
Unfortunately medical mistakes still happen on a far too frequent basis. One of the worst types of medical negligence is a wrong limb amputation. For whatever reason, we see too many operations to remove limbs due to misdiagnosis or a fundamental error in amputating the wrong limb. The effects are normally and understandably devastating. How does this still happen and what action can be taken if you are the victim of a wrong limb or other body part amputation?
Reasons for Wrong Amputations
Whilst there are some common horror stories of the wrong arm or leg being marked up for removal, there are also many more types of removals which do not usually make the news headlines.
There are various reasons that lead to the wrong limb being amputated, and these include:
- Wrong diagnosis (such as a diagnosis of a malignant tumour that is later discovered to be wrong)
- Amputating the wrong limb
- Wrong discs removed
- Removal of the wrong testicle
- Wrong hip removal
Whatever has happened, our solicitors will take the time to listen to the circumstances leading to your wrong amputation, and will provide you with your options. All initial enquiries are free of charge.
Often the problem is not even discovered until the patient awakes from the anaesthetic and realises what a dreadful mistake has been made. In the case of the removal of a disc, the patient might not know for some months when they are still experiencing severe back pain. Once the error is discovered, what action should be taken?
Make a Formal Complaint
If you realise the error whilst you are still in hospital, ensure that you formally complain to the doctor that carried out the treatment and ensure that the complaint is entered onto the medical records.
The next stage is to immediately seek advice from a specialist medical negligence solicitor. 1stClaims can of course help you with wrong amputations and all initial enquiries are free of charge.
Your solicitor will discuss all of the circumstances of the wrong amputation, and take you through the action you need to take. They will guide you through a complaints procedure if you have not yet complained, and will then take over the handling of the claim for you to ensure that you receive the compensation that is rightfully yours.
What Will Your Wrong Limb Amputation Claim Include?
The most significant part of the claim will no doubt be for your pain and suffering for removal of the wrong body part. The claim for this compensation element is called General Damages. It may also include a claim for care and attention if you need caring for by family or friends, or professional nursing care if required.
There may also be other significant aspects to your claim. If the wrong leg or arm has been amputated, and the other limb still has to be removed, your previous living accommodation may no longer be suitable. Removal costs or adaptation costs of your current home can be claimed. In addition, other losses and expenses can include lost earnings, career retraining, private medical treatment and travel expenses. A wrong amputation claim normally attracts higher levels of compensation than many other claims
Why Make A Wrong Amputation Claim?
There are many reasons, but the most important one that we are normally told by our clients is that future treatment costs can be recovered, ensuring that any complications that arise can be dealt with promptly and privately.
1stClaims Service for You
If you ask 1stClaims to help you with a wrong amputation enquiry, you will receive the following service:
- Free initial enquiries (your initial enquiry, whether by enquiry form or telephone is free
- A range of funding options available (from legal aid to no win no fee). Once you know what options are available to you, you can decide whether to proceed with a claim or not.
- Your expert medical negligence solicitor chosen by one of our directors, a former personal injury solicitor with over 14 years claims handling experience – i.e. we choose the best solicitors for you.
- We charge you nothing for our service - this allows you to find out what your rights are.
Make A Free Enquiry?
If you are the victim of a wrong amputation, you should take prompt action to protect your entitlement to compensation. A claim must be made within three years (normally of the date of the operation although this can be longer in some circumstances so you should always ask) so delaying is not an option. A solicitor will obtain your medical records and collect the evidence needed to secure your claim for compensation. Take early action to protect your rights.
To be connected to one of our specialist solicitors, please call us free on 0800 2888 693 (from a mobile click to call: 01348 630 720) or complete our Medical Negligence enquiry form. Want more information on medical negligence? Then return to our medical negligence home page.
We are here to help you from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday,
8.30am to 6pm on Saturday and 9am to 6pm on Sundays.
What Happens Next?
Complete a Quick Claim Enquiry and this is what you will benefit from:
- Advice on whether you can make a claim and how the claims process works from a specialist claims solicitor;
- Compensation - what can you claim for and how much are you likely to receive;
- Costs - whether you will qualify for a no win no fee claim or details of other methods for funding your claim; and
- An explanation of what will happen next if you decide to carry on and make a claim (how your solicitor will take care of everything for you).
All on a free, no obligation Quick Claim Enquiry Advice Call.
Has a solicitor been in contact? Yes
If Yes, were they able to help? Gave me some good advice to start with
Was our website easy to use? Yes
Would you recommend our website to anyone else thinking of making a claim? Yes
Out of 5, please rate the ease of use of our website or service. 5
Any other comments or suggestions that would make it easier to ask about claiming? No, it was easy
A to Z Of Medical Claims
Why Choose Us for Your Medical Claim?
- Completely free, no obligation enquiries
- Expert medical negligence solicitors selected for you by experts with 12 years of claims experience
- Legal Aid Available
- Private treatment available
- Our service is completely free for you