UK Legal Specialists

We have specialist Employment Solicitors ready and waiting to help you across Great Britain.


How To Sue For Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment in the workplace is more commonly an issue which affects women rather than men but for both genders, it is unacceptable. If you have been a victim of harassment you may feel embarrassed and unsure about how to proceed. Do not let the individual who is effecting you make you feel small and remember you have every right to be upset if you are experiencing sexual harassment.

What Is Sexual Harassment?

Sexual harassment can be verbal, physical or non verbal. Whether you feel that you are being stared at in an inappropriate way, being explicitly propositioned or being sexually assaulted in the workplace you have every right to complain. Harassment does not need be multiple instances for it to be classified as such; one occasion of harassment is enough for it to be inappropriate. Every instance is different. For this reason do remember sometimes sexual harassment can be a grey area so make sure you confide in someone you trust so a third party can back up your claims if you need them to and keep a record of all the occurrences of harassment if you can. If the harassment occurs via email, text message and so on ensure you do not delete the messages. You may find it humiliating to keep explicit emails but it will all be hard evidence to support your case and show clearly that you are not reciprocating the behaviour.

How Do I Deal With Harassment?

Firstly, remember that the person may not realise the negative effect their actions are having on you. Talk to them directly. If you are concerned about their reaction ask an impartial colleague to attend the meeting for mediation purposes. Essentially this meeting will simply serve to highlight the issue as they may categorise different behaviour as offensive compared to you, in fact in some cases of harassment the harasser may have seen their actions as flattery rather than something untoward. However, do not let them be dismissive of you or your complaint. Feelings are feelings, and if you are uncomfortable in the workplace they should make moves to diffuse the situation regardless of their interpretation of the matter.

If approaching them directly does not work, you must take the matter further. If your company has specific procedures in place to deal with matters such as this you should make use of them. If you have not already notified your employer of the situation you should log an official complaint with them. Your employer should take the matter seriously and conduct a formal investigation into the matter. If you do not feel that you employer deals with the matter appropriately you then could consider legal action.

You should instruct a solicitor if you cannot resolve the matter with your employer. A harassment claim can be made against anyone; if you feel you have to leave your place of work due to the harassment it is possible to pursue legal action against your employer after you have moved on. You must make a claim within 3 months of the incident for it to be viable. There are laws protecting you from sexual harassment in the workplace for a reason so make full use of your legal rights. If you are a member of a trade union you could speak to a union representative about your chances of pursuing a successful claim or you can seek help from ACAS.

Get in touch with a specialist employment solicitor today if you have experienced sexual harassment in the workplace and you feel it was not dealt with properly by your employer. Claiming with a specialist lawyer will give you the best chance of being paid the damages you deserve. If your solicitor cannot get your employer to pay you what you deserve your final port of call is an independent employment tribunal. If your legal case is at a standstill you can apply to take your case to an employment tribunal. The form you need is an ‘Employment tribunals claim form’ and this is easily downloadable from the government justice website. Again you must take your case to tribunal rapidly for it to be considered. So to protect others from becoming victim to the same harassment you were and to be receive compensation for the failure of your employer to protect you in the workplace you should contact a legal professional today.

How Can 1stClaims Help You?

At 1stClaims we can help you find the perfect solicitor for you, we offer a completely free, no obligation enquiry service as we understand you may not understand the position you are in in the eyes of the law. We will talk you through your options and will explain what steps you need to take and whether or not you are likely to be successful if you take your case to court. 1stClaims will give you the legal support you need at this difficult time, our aim is to ensure that the law is accessible for everyone as litigation can be complex and we wish to relieve you of any extra stresses and strains. We will find the perfect solicitor for you and help you along every step of the way.

Let Us Help You Now

Please call us free on 0800 2888 693 or complete our online enquiry form here so we can help you make your sexual harassment claim today.


What Happens Next?

Complete a Quick Claim Enquiry and this is what you will benefit from:

  1. Advice on whether you can make a claim and how the claims process works from a specialist claims solicitor;
  2. Compensation - what can you claim for and how much are you likely to receive;
  3. Costs - your options for funding your claim; and
  4. An explanation of what will happen next if you decide to carry on and make a claim (how your solicitor will take care of everything for you).

All on a free, no obligation Quick Claim Enquiry Advice Call.

Call free now on 0800 2888 693 or make a Quick Claim Enquiry »

Live Feedback

Has a solicitor been in contact? Yes
If Yes, were they able to help? Yes, they are proceeding with it
Was our website easy to use? Yes, it was a doddle
Would you recommend our website to anyone else thinking of making a claim? Yes
Out of 5, please rate the ease of use of our website or service. 5
Any other comments or suggestions that would make it easier to ask about claiming? No, it was so easy even he could do it

1stClaims is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities. Firm Reference Number FRN833930.

“1stClaims are a Claims Management Company. Our Marketing is undertaken in a manner that is compliant with the SRA Code of Conduct for Solicitors, RELs and RFLs 2019 Parts 8.6 - 8.11, Client information and publicity, and any solicitor [or registered European lawyer] to whom we may refer you is an independent professional from whom you will receive impartial and confidential advice. You are free to choose another solicitor [or registered European lawyer]"

1stClaims Limited - Registered in England and Wales - Reg. Co. No. 06566866. Registered Office Address: Tregyddulan, St Nicholas, Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, SA64 0LX

VAT Reg. No. 938 1976 76 - Information Commissioner's Office Registration Number Z1477170

hide menu