UK Service

We have specialist Elderly Care Solicitors across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland waiting to help
you now.

UK Coverage
Elderly Care

We have specialist Elderly Care Solicitors ready and waiting to help you across the UK.


Reclaiming Care Home Fees

1stClaims are here for you if you are thinking about claiming to recover care home fees on behalf of yourself or a loved one. People do not always have to pay care home fees and sometimes you or a loved one will be incorrectly charged.

If you or a loved one has paid care home fees that you did not need to you may be able to make a claim to receive a reimbursement of the overpaid money. Care home fees are something most of us will encounter at some point in our lives, either as an elderly person requiring care or as a younger person with an elderly relative requiring care.

Can I Reclaim Care Home Fees?

When and how can 1stClaims help you make a claim for reclaiming paid care home fees? We will guide you every step of the way. You can make a claim to be refunded care home fees that you have already paid if you or a loved one is being overcharged.

When Can I Reclaim Care Home Fees?

If you or a loved one is suffering from serious mental illness or physical illness, but received only a means tested assessment when entering care you may be able to claim. This is because if an individual is suffering from a serious disease they could have a 'primary health need'.

'Primary health needs' are heath-related rather than age-related mental or physical needs as assessed by an NHS Continuing Healthcare Assessment. An NHS Continuing Healthcare Assessment should be conducted when someone is entering into care. If an individual has a primary health need the NHS should cover the cost of their care home fees. 1stClaims can help you reclaim care home fees if you or a loved one has been paying for care when you should have been. The following sections look at circumstances when you may be able to reclaim care home fees.

1. Reclaiming Fees - Already In Care

1st Claims can offer you help with care home fee recovery if you or a loved one is currently in care. Whatever your circumstances, if you are in a care home and you are paying too much for your care - we are here to help. The following are examples of situations that can result in financial reimbursement of care home fees: -

1. No Assessment: Everyone should be assessed to see if they qualify for NHS continuing healthcare funding when they enter care for the first time. If this assessment did not take place you may be paying for care home fees when you should not be. Often people do not realise financial help with care home fees can be provided from the government. If you are in this situation we will help you get a full and accurate assessment of yours or your loved one's needs. Should you have been paying care home fees when you did not need to, we will help you to get this money back.

2. Reassessment: The amount you should be paying for your care is affected by your state of health. If you or a loved one is already in care but their health is deteriorating, a reassessment of their health needs may be required. Following this reassessment you may find that care home fees no longer need to be paid. If you are receiving care for "primary health needs" you should not be paying your care home fees.

3. Inaccurate assessment: If you experienced an NHS continuing healthcare assessment that you think was inaccurate you can contest this with our help. We will help you to get a reassessment and to reclaim care home fees if it turns out that you should not have been paying for your care.

1stClaims will help you to reclaim overpaid care home fees for the time in which you or your relative was paying fees due to an inaccurate assessment or due to no assessment.

2. Reclaiming Fees - Deteriorating Health In Care

Primary health needs: if care being received is related to a physical or mental need which is health-related rather than age-related, care home fees should be being funded by the government.

When an individual entered care they probably had an NHS Continuing Healthcare assessment to see whether they had 'primary health needs'. Following this they may have been told they did not qualify to have their care home fees paid by the government. However, this will not necessarily remain to be the case for duration of a stay in care. This is because sadly an individual's state of health does not always remain the same throughout their stay in a care home.

Should your or your loved one's health deteriorate they may no longer need to pay their care home fees. This is because they may begin to suffer from 'primary health needs'. A reassessment of an individual's circumstances is necessary in this situation to ensure that you are still paying the correct amount for your care. 1stClaims can help you with this. We will also help you reclaim any overpaid care home fees if it is the case that your needs meant you qualified to have your care home fees paid by the NHS for some time.

3. Reclaiming Care Fees - Moving Into Care From Hospital

The NHS covers the costs of your care whilst you are in hospital but when an individual moves from hospital to a care home they will need to have their needs assessed properly to establish whether or not they should be paying care home fees via an NHS Continuing Healthcare Assessment.

1stClaims can help make sure that an assessment of your needs is conducted correctly if you wish for us to help you. Also, if you or a loved one was previously in care prior to entering hospital we can help you make sure an accurate reassessment of their health needs takes place.

How Can I Claim Back Care Home Fees?

Just get in touch with us today to talk through your circumstances with one of our team. If you have grounds to make a viable claim our specialist lawyers will help you to get the correct assessments that are required to show that you qualified to have your care home fees paid by the government. Our lawyers will then help you reclaim the backdated fees that you paid when your primary health needs meant you should not have been paying for your care.

Can I Reclaim Care Home Fees On Behalf Of A Loved One?

Yes you can make a claim for a refund of overpaid care fees on behalf of a loved one. You can make a claim on their behalf if your relative is alive and still receiving care, or has since passed away. All care home fees refunds will be returned to the relevant party.

It is possible for you to help your elderly relative make a claim for a care home fees refund, as often they may not be capable of making a claim alone, especially if they are suffering from a degenerative mental disorder. You can help them through the claims process.

Firstly, if they are capable of being medically assessed this may occur, but it may be the case that you will just have to provide information and evidence about their disorder and state at the time of their being taken in long-term care. Secondly, you can help them with aspects of the claim that they would not be able to complete without your help - such as paperwork.

What Can 1stClaims Do For Me?

We offer everyone a free initial enquiry with us so you can speak directly to us about your situation and find out whether you have grounds for a successful claim. We will put you in touch with the perfect lawyer for you and will guide you through every step of the claiming process.

Talk To 1stClaims About Reclaiming Care Home Fees

If you would rather speak to a care home fees specialist about your situation 1stClaims offer can offer you free initial advice and a free claims enquiry service. We know that you may not fully understand whether you qualify to be able to make a care home fee recovery claim and that you may have questions about the claiming process. Please do not suffer in silence; we are here to help you with any queries - large or small.

Would rather talk to someone in person on the telephone? Call our Reclaiming Care Home Fees Helpline on 0800 2888 693

Would rather submit a quick online description of your circumstance? Visit our Claiming Back Care Home Fees Enquiry page and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

All initial enquiries are offered to you completely free of charge, with no obligation to continue with a claim with us. To talk to a specialist for free about the services we can provide for individuals following deteriorating health in care either call free on 0800 2888 693 or fill in an online enquiry.


Let Us Help You?

Whatever your question or concern about care home fees, we can and will help you with a free, no obligation enquiry.

We can advise you:

  1. Whether you may be entitled to reclaim any paid care fees;
  2. Whether you are eligible for funding of your care home fees;
  3. How to make a claim; and
  4. How we can help you and how much it will cost (but the initial contact is completely free of charge).

Live Feedback

Has a solicitor been in contact? Yes
If Yes, were they able to help? Think they can sort it for him
Was our website easy to use? Yes, it was easy enough
Would you recommend our website to anyone else thinking of making a claim? Yes
Out of 5, please rate the ease of use of our website or service. 5
Any other comments or suggestions that would make it easier to ask about claiming? No, it was as easy as it gets

Why Choose 1stClaims?

  • We hand select only the best care home fee solicitors to help you.
  • Completely free, no obligation initial enquiries.
  • Expertise in helping other people to receive free care home fees.

1stClaims is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities. Firm Reference Number FRN833930.

“We comply, where applicable, with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011 published by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and any solicitor [or registered European lawyer] to whom we may refer you is an independent professional from whom you will receive impartial and confidential advice. You are free to choose another solicitor [or registered European lawyer]"

1stClaims Limited - Registered in England and Wales - Reg. Co. No. 06566866. Registered Office Address: Tregyddulan, St Nicholas, Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, SA64 0LX

VAT Reg. No. 938 1976 76 - Information Commissioner's Office Registration Number Z1477170

hide menu