UK Service

We have specialist Elderly Care Solicitors across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland waiting to help
you now.

UK Coverage
Elderly Care

We have specialist Elderly Care Solicitors ready and waiting to help you across the UK.


Care Home Fees

Whether you yourself are entering old age, or a loved one is entering old age, you are likely to be thinking a lot about care - whether you will need it, how much it will cost, where the care will be provided and by whom. 1stClaims are here to help give you the advice you need to set your mind at rest regarding some important questions: "Can I get help with paying for my care home fees?" and "What do I do if I've been paying for too much of my care home fees?"

Care home fees can be expensive and sadly, many people in the UK are selling their homes to be able to cover the costs of their long-term care. On average care home costs in the UK are between approximately £27,200 and £37,500 per year. Depending on where you live in the UK, weekly care costs are of differing amounts.

We do not believe that anyone should be unfairly paying for their care in old age so we will do our best to help you if you think this has happened to you or someone you care about.

So, whatever your relationship with care home fees 1stClaims believe that it is vital that you understand care home fees, when you should or should not be paying for them, and when you can recover them. Eligibility for financial help with care home fees can often be incorrectly assessed. Click on the links below to read detailed information on specific areas of care home fees recovery or read on to find out what you need to know about when you should and shouldn't be paying for your care home fees. You can also view our Reclaiming Care Home Fees infographic for more information.

1. Reclaiming Care Home Fees - when and how can you claim back your care home fees?

2. Free Nursing Home Care - when should someone be receiving free nursing home care?

3. Help with Funding - how do you fund claiming back your care home fees?

Care Home Fee Assessments

If you are going into care, first of all, you or your loved ones should ensure you are receiving all the correct assessments from the government regarding the amount you should be contributing financially towards your care. When your financial contribution to your care is being assessed you should receive an assessment for NHS continuing care and a means-tested assessment.

When Shouldn't You Be Paying For Your Care Home Fees?

If you have primary health needs. If care being received is related to a physical or mental need that is health-related rather than age-related, you should not be paying for your care home fees, they should be being funded by the government. Needs are assessed by an NHS Continuing Healthcare Assessment.

Many people are unaware that they can receive an assessment for NHS continuing care. If you have not received an assessment for NHS continuing care alongside your means assessment you may be paying for too much for your care fees. If you have been subject to an overpayment of fees you may be able to claim back this deficit via a retrospective assessment of your needs.

If you think you need an NHS Continuing Healthcare assessment call one of our specialists on 0800 2888 693 or fill in an online enquiry. You will not be charged for your enquiry and you will not be obligated to continue with our services.

When May You Only Be Paying For Some Of Your Care Home Fees?

1. State Support

A. Means testing (financial assessment)

In all circumstances you should ensure that you have an NHS Continuing Care Assessment before a financial assessment. A financial assessment occurs to determine how much of your care home fees you have to pay for if you are not eligible for NHS Continuing Care Funding.

A means-tested assessment is used to ascertain whether or not you qualify to receive financial help from the state to fund your long-term care.

In England

  • you have assets over £23, 250 you will have to pay for your care home fees in full.
  • you have assets worth between £14,250 and £23,250 you will have to pay a contribution towards your care home fees.
  • of less than £14,250 will be disregarded but will have to make a contribution from your income.
  • assessment must only take into account your assets not the joint assets of a couple.
  • assets must be disregarded in a financial assessment

In Scotland

  • The state will pay for your care fees if your estate is worth less than £15,250 and
  • You will have to pay for your care fees in full if your estate is worth more than £24,750.
  • Between these value two brackets, differing amounts of financial support will be provided to the individual by the state on a sliding scale.
  • The closer you are to the lower bracket, the more support you will receive and the closer you are to the higher bracket, the less support you will receive.

You local authority will conduct your financial assessment. They will take into account your savings, income, investments and property when they are conducting your assessment. Some forms of income will be disregarded from the assessment - e.g. mobility allowance and War Widows payments. If you find that you do not qualify for financial help at this time, remember that you can be reassessed at any time. Make sure you get regular reassessments if you think that your capital has dropped below £23,250.

This is just a quick guide to financial assessment. If you are unsure about what should and should not be included in an assessment you should give one of our specialist care home fees team a call for advice. Call one of our specialists on 0800 2888 693 or fill in an online enquiry. We offer no obligation initial enquiries, free of charge.

B. Attendance Allowance

This benefit is not means tested and is provided to over 65s who need help with basic procedures such as eating or washing. They can be being provided this care in a nursing home or at home. Depending on the needs you have the amount you will receive will be £77.45 if you require a lot of care or £51.85 if you require only part time care.

C. Registered Nursing Contribution (RNC)

Again, this is a non-means tested contribution and you will be eligible for it if you need nursing care at home or live in a home that provides nursing care. Different homes deal with RNC differently so talk to your home directly to find out how this contribution will be factored into your care costs. RNC covers the cost of nursing or medical care and will be paid whether you are paying for your care in full or if the local authority is funding your care.

D. NHS Care

This is funding which is provided for certain types of necessary healthcare equipment that is required for you. People are not always eligible for NHS care, but if you are eligible this care can be provided either in hospital or in the comfort of your own home.

E. Funding Under The Mental Health Act

If you/your loved one is detained under the mental health act the care services they are being provided with should be being provided free of charge.

2. Financial Planning

Good financial planning can reduce what you are paying for your care home fees. If you plan your finances properly you may not have to pay for the full amount. To speak to one of our team about proper financial planning for care home fees give our free helpline a call on 0800 2888 693 or fill in an online enquiry. All initial enquiries are offered completely free of charge and offer no obligation for you to continue with our services.

3. Family

If you are finding funding your care difficult, you may be able to turn to your family. Families provide a valuable support network in old age and you may find your relatives are more than happy to help contribute towards your care home fees in later life.

Have You Been Paying Too Much For Your Care Home Fees?

Contact 1stClaims to receive a free initial consultation regarding your care home fees claim. Call us free on 0800 2888 693 or fill in an online enquiry. All initial enquiries are completely free of charge so you can find out whether or not you have a viable claim. There is no obligation to continue with our services following your consultation with our legal team.


Let Us Help You?

Whatever your question or concern about care home fees, we can and will help you with a free, no obligation enquiry.

We can advise you:

  1. Whether you may be entitled to reclaim any paid care fees;
  2. Whether you are eligible for funding of your care home fees;
  3. How to make a claim; and
  4. How we can help you and how much it will cost (but the initial contact is completely free of charge).

Live Feedback

Has a solicitor been in contact? Yes
Was our website easy to use? Yes
Would you recommend our website to anyone else thinking of making a claim? Definitely
Out of 5, please rate the ease of use of our website or service. 5
Any other comments or suggestions that would make it easier to ask about claiming? Not at all, thank you very much

Why Choose 1stClaims?

  • We hand select only the best care home fee solicitors to help you.
  • Completely free, no obligation initial enquiries.
  • Expertise in helping other people to receive free care home fees.

1stClaims is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities. Firm Reference Number FRN833930.

“We comply, where applicable, with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011 published by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and any solicitor [or registered European lawyer] to whom we may refer you is an independent professional from whom you will receive impartial and confidential advice. You are free to choose another solicitor [or registered European lawyer]"

1stClaims Limited - Registered in England and Wales - Reg. Co. No. 06566866. Registered Office Address: Tregyddulan, St Nicholas, Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, SA64 0LX

VAT Reg. No. 938 1976 76 - Information Commissioner's Office Registration Number Z1477170

hide menu