Legal Services covering Great Britain

We have specialist Solicitors across England, Scotland and Wales waiting to help you now.

UK Legal Specialists

We have specialist solicitors ready and waiting to help you across Great Britain.

What Do I Do With Road Traffic Accident Footage?

Have you captured footage of your own or someone else’s road traffic accident? It doesn’t matter if you were using a helmet camera or a dash camera, being involved in a road traffic accident will leave anyone shaken and uncertain.

This guide aims to resolve any questions you my have about your accident footage, so you’ll at least have one less thing to worry about.

Taking Video Evidence To Court

Car Crash

Image by gillicious

If you want to make sure that the driver involved in the accident is punished in a court of law, it is essential that you not only send in the video, but also:

  • Attend a police station in person.
  • Give a written statement.
  • Make sure you are prepared to attend court to give evidence in person.

This is because when prosecuting, video evidence can only be given in corroboration, not on its own.

Since the incident has, presumably, already happened and is past, you should call 101, the non-emergency police contact number, to report the incident, provide the police with any other useful details, and ask for general advice on what to do.

The video should be backed up for security, and you will need at least one hard copy (for instance, recording the film onto a blank DVD), in order for the police to be able to use your video evidence.

The police often make calls for dash cam evidence to be submitted by members of the public. This can be achieved by a process as simple as sending them a link to a YouTube video, but prosecution is not guaranteed.

Even with dash cam evidence, it is well worth collecting witness statements at the scene, especially if you think you could be entitled to compensation for a road traffic collision.

If the police decide not to pursue the matter past sending the offending driver a warning letter in the post, then your main chance for claiming any damages will be through a Road Traffic Accident claim.

What If I Don’t Want To Go To The Police?

If you don’t want to go to the police to report the accident and provide a written statement, you won’t be able to submit the video evidence.

Alternatively, if you were injured, then it is a legal requirement that you notify the police and if possible not move the vehicles at the scene of the crash until they arrive.

You will still need to inform your own insurance company of the crash.

What Are Good Examples Of Illegal Driving?

Some good examples of illegal driving that might help your case if you catch them on camera include:

  • Using a mobile phone while driving.
  • Driving unpredictably and erratically.
  • Performing unnecessary tasks at the wheel, for example eating, drinking, or applying makeup.
  • Driving alone (when it is later revealed that they only have a provisional license).

If you have video evidence of a driver involved in a collision acting in any illegal fashion, 1stClaims could be able to get you the compensation you deserve. Get in touch for a no obligation enquiry.


Leave a Reply

Which 7 Questions Must You Ask Before Choosing Your Personal Injury Claim Solicitor?

To receive our free guide advising you of all the questions you must ask before choosing your solicitor please click the link below:


Why Choose 1stClaims

  • We hand select only the best personal injury claim and medical negligence solicitors to help you.
  • All initial enquiries are completely free of charge
  • You may be able to make a claim under a No Win No Fee Agreement
  • Your solicitor chosen by a senior personal injury solicitor with 14 years claims experience

What clients are saying about 1stClaims service today

“They don't seem (another claims company) as efficient or helpful as 1stClaims seem to be. I have been impressed with your service and I am grateful for your help. Thanks for your patience!” - Mr Pittam

1stClaims is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities. Firm Reference Number FRN833930.

“We comply, where applicable, with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011 published by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and any solicitor [or registered European lawyer] to whom we may refer you is an independent professional from whom you will receive impartial and confidential advice. You are free to choose another solicitor [or registered European lawyer]"

1stClaims Limited - Registered in England and Wales - Reg. Co. No. 06566866. Registered Office Address: Tregyddulan, St Nicholas, Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, SA64 0LX

VAT Reg. No. 938 1976 76 - Information Commissioner's Office Registration Number Z1477170

hide menu