Legal Services covering Great Britain

We have specialist Solicitors across England, Scotland and Wales waiting to help you now.

UK Legal Specialists

We have specialist solicitors ready and waiting to help you across Great Britain.

Can You Sue The Hospital Or The Doctor For Medical Negligence?

So you’ve been the victim of medical negligence. Do you sue the hospital, or do you sue your doctor? While your solicitor will help you work out who is the appropriate defendant, these are some rules of thumb for establishing which party to sue.

Question Mark

Image by Stefan Baudy

Medical Negligence In A Private Hospital Or Clinic

In most cases when medical negligence occurs in a private hospital or clinic, the doctor involved will not be employed directly by the private hospital or clinic. This means that it will usually be necessary to sue the doctor themselves, as the hospital is not often responsible for the conduct of the doctor.

Any compensation will probably be awarded from the doctor’s insurance, so any impact on the doctor’s financial well-being will be indirect rather than direct.

Medical Negligence In An NHS Hospital

In most cases, an NHS trust will be held responsible for medical negligence that takes place within an NHS hospital.

This is often a relief to potential claimants, as it’s rare that claimants actually want to completely financially ruin a particular doctor or healthcare practitioner. Indeed, often medical negligence arises as a problem caused by systematic errors that need to change. If the purpose of suing is in part to change behaviour, then suing the individual is probably going to be a singularly ineffective method of encouraging change.

Medical Negligence By A General Practitioner

A general practitioner or GP who can be said to have committed an act of medical negligence will usually have to defend their own case, so the defendant of the case will be the GP themselves.

In most cases, the GP will be insured by the Medical Defence Union or the Medical Protection Society, so as with medical negligence in a private hospital or clinic their finances should not be directly affected by the case. In both instances, of course, the doctor will be affected by increased premiums and diminished reputation.

Working Out The Details

It is your solicitor’s job to work out who or what is most appropriate to sue. In some cases, this might require that the case is brought against multiple defendants, as medical evidence can be complicated and consequently working out who is at fault can be hard. Ultimately, though, if you choose a solicitor through 1stClaims you will not need to worry about the details.

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Which 7 Questions Must You Ask Before Choosing Your Personal Injury Claim Solicitor?

To receive our free guide advising you of all the questions you must ask before choosing your solicitor please click the link below:


Why Choose 1stClaims

  • We hand select only the best personal injury claim and medical negligence solicitors to help you.
  • All initial enquiries are completely free of charge
  • You may be able to make a claim under a No Win No Fee Agreement
  • Your solicitor chosen by a senior personal injury solicitor with 14 years claims experience

What clients are saying about 1stClaims service today

“I am very happy to endorse your website for it's ease of understanding and use. I would also like to say how impressed I was regarding the very prompt reply from the solicitor who contacted me regarding this matter.” - Mr G Kay

1stClaims is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities. Firm Reference Number FRN833930.

“We comply, where applicable, with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011 published by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and any solicitor [or registered European lawyer] to whom we may refer you is an independent professional from whom you will receive impartial and confidential advice. You are free to choose another solicitor [or registered European lawyer]"

1stClaims Limited - Registered in England and Wales - Reg. Co. No. 06566866. Registered Office Address: Tregyddulan, St Nicholas, Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, SA64 0LX

VAT Reg. No. 938 1976 76 - Information Commissioner's Office Registration Number Z1477170

hide menu