Legal Services covering Great Britain

We have specialist Solicitors across England, Scotland and Wales waiting to help you now.

UK Legal Specialists

We have specialist solicitors ready and waiting to help you across Great Britain.

How Can Your Union Help With Employment Law?

A trade union will not always intervene to help you if you find yourself encountering legal issues at work, but they should be one of your first ports of call in any kind of difficulty.

Legal services vary from union to union, but will generally involve dispute resolution, help with personal injury claims, and guidance when it comes to personal grievances against a company.
Image by ewe neon

Representation And Tribunals

While an adviser, such as you might be able to find at the Citizen’s Advice Bureau, is able to advise you on sensible routes to go down from a legal point of view, a union representative is capable of much more.

A representative will have to be named on your tribunal claim form. They will talk directly to your employer on your behalf, saving you from potentially challenging confrontations, and they will represent you when the tribunal itself begins (as their name would suggest).

You will still probably have to speak in your own defence at your tribunal, barring exceptional circumstances, but having a representative will make things much easier.

Sometimes, you will receive time-sensitive communications to do with your tribunal; for this reason, you should share all communications related to your tribunal with your representative as soon as you receive them. They will be in touch with any new information or new developments in your case, so it’s essential to notify them if you will be unavailable for any period of time – such as when you’re on holiday.

Grievance Letters

Grievance letters are a way of formally noting that you are facing an obstacle at your place of work without starting legal proceedings.

They’ll involve any incidents which upset you, the time and date, of the incidents, the names of anyone involved and the names of any witnesses. You should include any amount of money you believe you are entitled to (for instance in the case of late payment of your salary), set out any evidence in support of your grievance, explain any reasonable solutions you have thought of, and also describe any informal solutions you’ve tried to put in place.

Your union can and probably will help you with writing a grievance letter in such a way that you don’t get into any trouble with the recipient, and that it clearly and effectively lays out your concerns.

Formal Legal Help

Unions may also help you with actual legal cases if they think you have a good chance of winning your case and your employer has a clear case to answer.

In this case, they may take over running your case entirely.

If your union lawyers don’t have specific-enough experience for your case, though, it’s worth shopping around for other sources of legal expertise.


Leave a Reply

Which 7 Questions Must You Ask Before Choosing Your Personal Injury Claim Solicitor?

To receive our free guide advising you of all the questions you must ask before choosing your solicitor please click the link below:


Why Choose 1stClaims

  • We hand select only the best personal injury claim and medical negligence solicitors to help you.
  • All initial enquiries are completely free of charge
  • You may be able to make a claim under a No Win No Fee Agreement
  • Your solicitor chosen by a senior personal injury solicitor with 14 years claims experience

What clients are saying about 1stClaims service today

“I have been totally satisfied with everything you have done and wouldn't hesitate to use or recommend you if a situation arose in future.” - Mr Pittam

1stClaims is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities. Firm Reference Number FRN833930.

“We comply, where applicable, with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011 published by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and any solicitor [or registered European lawyer] to whom we may refer you is an independent professional from whom you will receive impartial and confidential advice. You are free to choose another solicitor [or registered European lawyer]"

1stClaims Limited - Registered in England and Wales - Reg. Co. No. 06566866. Registered Office Address: Tregyddulan, St Nicholas, Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, SA64 0LX

VAT Reg. No. 938 1976 76 - Information Commissioner's Office Registration Number Z1477170

hide menu