Legal Services covering Great Britain

We have specialist Solicitors across England, Scotland and Wales waiting to help you now.

UK Legal Specialists

We have specialist solicitors ready and waiting to help you across Great Britain.

Can I Make A Claim After Being Assaulted?

If you have been a victim of crime, you may have suffered injuries which could be serious. These injuries could be either physical or mental injuries and no matter how severe your injuries are, they can have a huge impact on your life. If you cannot return to work as a result of your injuries, you will be extremely worried and concerned about your future.

There is a way that you will be able to get help though. There is a body called the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, also known as the CICA, which was set up to be able to help people who have been injured as a result of a crime for which they were an innocent victim. Relatives are also able to claim compensation if someone in their family has been killed.

The CICA processes compensation claims for injured victims of crime, but there are a number of criteria you need to satisfy before making a claim. You will also need to make a claim as soon as you can because there is a time limit in place of 2 years from the date when you were injured.

In order to make a claim from the CICA, you will need to complete a form which will outline all of the circumstances of the crime and all of your injuries too. Many people seek legal advice about their claim so they can make sure that the form is filled out correctly and to ensure that they get the best possible outcome too.

If your claim to the CICA is successful, you will be paid compensation. Compensation is based on a tariff system and depending on how serious your injuries are, you will be awarded anywhere from £1,000 to £500,000. This award is made to compensate you for the pain and suffering you have experienced and also to compensate you for any loss of earning following your injuries.

Whilst the criminal who has injured you may be being prosecuted in criminal proceedings, your claim will continue side by side with the criminal case as a civil action. Even if the criminal is not prosecuted, you will still be able to make a claim for compensation under the CICA.

For more information about this article or any aspect of our accident and injury claims services, please call us on 0800 2888 693 or reply to this email and we will be delighted to help you (there is no charge for initial telephone discussions).


Leave a Reply

Which 7 Questions Must You Ask Before Choosing Your Personal Injury Claim Solicitor?

To receive our free guide advising you of all the questions you must ask before choosing your solicitor please click the link below:


Why Choose 1stClaims

  • We hand select only the best personal injury claim and medical negligence solicitors to help you.
  • All initial enquiries are completely free of charge
  • You may be able to make a claim under a No Win No Fee Agreement
  • Your solicitor chosen by a senior personal injury solicitor with 14 years claims experience

What clients are saying about 1stClaims service today

“I am very happy to endorse your website for it's ease of understanding and use. I would also like to say how impressed I was regarding the very prompt reply from the solicitor who contacted me regarding this matter.” - Mr G Kay

1stClaims is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities. Firm Reference Number FRN833930.

“We comply, where applicable, with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011 published by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and any solicitor [or registered European lawyer] to whom we may refer you is an independent professional from whom you will receive impartial and confidential advice. You are free to choose another solicitor [or registered European lawyer]"

1stClaims Limited - Registered in England and Wales - Reg. Co. No. 06566866. Registered Office Address: Tregyddulan, St Nicholas, Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, SA64 0LX

VAT Reg. No. 938 1976 76 - Information Commissioner's Office Registration Number Z1477170

hide menu